Sunday, May 3, 2009

My Wife and I, and the Kentucky Derby (I Lost..AGAIN)

The Kentucky Derby was yesterday. My Lovely Bride and I always have a $1.00 bet on the “Run for the Roses.” Well, today, she made it ten straight.

She had the even numbered horses; and when “
Mind That Bird” (the number 8 horse) galloped from the back of the pack, to win by six-and-a quarter lengths, my jaw dropped.

Later, I opened my wallet and handed her a crisp one-dollar bill. She smiled, said “thanks,” and we gave each other a hug.

My wife is a sports fan. A sports fan but not a fanatic. I am the fanatic. I eat, drink, sleep, and breathe with the sporting world. It has always amazed me how much she knows about sports without being a fanatic.

In any case, my dear departed father used to say she was the best that ever happened to me. He stated she was too good for me and I should be happy that she took pity on me and granted my request to become my wife.

I knew he was saying that tongue-in-cheek, but after 26 years of marriage, I think old dad had more smarts that I gave him credit.

Well, back to the race. A 50 to 1 shot won the Derby. OH MY GOSH!

A person who played the long shot won $103.20 for a $2.00 bet. Mind That Bird was the second longest odds to with the Derby in history.

I guess I should remember the premise of the movie “Angels in the Outfield,” IT COULD HAPPEN!

That is why I am such a sports fanatic. Anything CAN happen. That is why I like it so much; the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. One NEVER knows what is going to happen.

"The Churchill Downs team would like to extend its congratulations to all those involved with Mine That Bird on his historic victory in this year's 135th running of the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands. We welcomed an impressive and enthusiastic crowd under the Twin Spires this year, and appreciate the support that the entire Louisville community continues to deliver. Despite the very difficult economy, we were able to offer a strong card of racing that produced solid overall handle figures. Today was truly a Kentucky Derby to remember." - Bill Carstanjen, Churchill Downs Incorporated Chief Operating Officer

No comments: