Friday, May 1, 2009

Texas Education Agency's Update on Mexican Flu

As of May 1, 2009 at 5:59 PM, an estimated 293,081 students has been affected by the closing of schools due to the Mexican Flu scare in Texas. The comes from statistics provided by the Texas Education Agency (TEA).

Yes, that is correct. 293,081 students are out of school because 28 students are confirmed to have the Mexican Flu. That number is from the
Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

I can understand concern, but this may be getting out of hand. On one side, damn the schools if someone dies from the flu and the administration did not close the schools. Law suits would abound.

The other side of the issue is to close all schools. I would imagine the TEA would require all the schools to makeup the missed days. I can see the uproar that would occur from that decision.

It is one of those situations that the powers that be are "Damned if they do and damned if they don't."

We have finished the TAKS test in My Lovely Bride's and my schools today. For that we both have two words.

THANK GOD!!!

We really do not care what happens the rest of the school year. Experience has taught us that the students shut down after TAKS. With only 4 1/2 more weeks of school remaining, most students will be marking time until dismissal for the summer.

In any case, I will keep everyone posted as to developments with the Mexican Flu here in Texas.

"I would tell members of my family - and I have - I wouldn't go anywhere in confined places now. It's not going to Mexico, it's you're in a confined aircraft when one person sneezes it goes all the way through the aircraft. That's me. I would not be, at this point, if they had another way of transportation, suggesting they ride the subway. So from my perspective, what it relates to is mitigation. If you're out in the middle of a field and someone sneezes, that's one thing. If you're in a closed aircraft or a closed container, a closed car, a closed classroom, it's a different thing." - Vice President Joe Biden

No comments: