Thursday, December 24, 2009

A Holiday Tradition: "White Christmas"

My Lovely Bride and I are sitting in our respective recliners, in our living room; continuing a "ritual we have participated in since our first Christmas together. We are watching "White Christmas." In fact, we always watch the movie once between Thanksgiving and the week of Christmas and once on Christmas Eve.

We have many traditions in our marriage and I have discussed some of them in previous posts. But this post will be about one of the most "elegant" parts of the movie.

When Rosemary Clooney leaves the inn in Vermont to work at the Carousel Club in New York, she is wearing the dress pictured in the photo at the right when she performs in New York.

That dress was a knockout on Rosemary, and she was in no way petite. Years ago in an interview, Virginia Mayo said that film people really used to care about their films, and were careful in what the actresses wore, but not now.

Mayo said they went through extensive wardrobe tests and would say things like, and I'm quoting Virginia, "take that dress off her, and put something on that flatters her." Rosemary was probably very difficult to design costumes for, so they obviously took a lot of time and effort in her wardrobe.

It's one of the most beautiful, seductive and curvaceous gowns I have ever seen, and looked fantastic on her. And Clooney wasn't exactly a small girl! I wish Hollywood today would take a cue or two from the old pros and get some style!

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
Just like the ones I used to know
Where the treetops glisten,
and children listen
To hear sleigh bells in the snow

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
With every Christmas card I write
May your days be merry and bright
And may all your Christmases be white

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
With every Christmas card I write
May your days be merry and bright
And may all your Christmases be white


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you talk like she's some kind of fatty! Curvaceous, yes; hard to style? Hardly.