Saturday, March 22, 2008

Joey Vento (Geno's Steaks) Sign Ruled Legal

Joey Vento, owner of Geno's Steaks in Philadelphia, has been vindicated. The city's human relations commission has ruled that a "speak English when ordering" sign does not discriminate against people who don't speak the language.

I have been following Joey and his plight for a while now. Joey has a sign up in his cheese steak stand that reads "This is America. When ordering, speak English."

My lovely bride and I have visited Geno's on numerous occasions. Whenever we are on the east coast and withing driving distance of Philly, we go to Geno's. We both love their cheese steaks and have met Joey's son Geno.


In fact, young Geno gave us two of their employee's shirts which have Geno's logo on the front and their famous saying on the back. He also gave us numerous writing pens and a few stickers.

I say KUDOS to Joey and his right to put up whatever sign he likes in his business. I have taken some heat on the blog sphere for my support of Geno. Well, to those people I say....if you don't like the ambiance at Geno's, then go to Pat's King of Steaks.


“Free speech is not to be regulated like diseased cattle and impure butter. The audience that hissed yesterday may applaud today, even for the same performance.” - William Orville Douglas

6 comments:

Average American said...

Kudos to Joey!! I don't think their should be ANY signs in America in any other language but ENGLISH!!!

Joe

Texas Truth said...

Average American: His shop is GREAT. An All-American place. I wish I could wear my Geno's shirt down here in Texas, but I am afraid of being jumped.

Law and Order Teacher said...

If I can get one I'll wear it. What a great step for Americanism. Check Right on the Left Coast for the greatest version of the National Anthem you have ever heard. It's on YouTube, under Madeline Powell and the Cactus Cuties. Awesome.

Texas Truth said...

Law and Order Teacher: He used to sell them on his website, along with the pens and other items. Check his site at http://genossteaks.com

If they start selling them again, I will let you know.

Anonymous said...

What a GREAT story about an American success story--and they are getting fewer and farther between.

Makes me want to take a road trip to Philly just to visit his place!!!!

Texas Truth said...

nunoftheabove: Geno's is GREAT!!! If you are ever on the right coast, check it out. My lovely bride and I are going to be back east this summer and are planning a detour to Phily to stop and eat at Geno's.