Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Houston ISD Superintendent Gets $75,000 Bonus

Houston ISD Superintendent Abelardo Saavedra pocketed nearly all of his performance bonus this year, earning $75,000 of a potential $80,000.

The bonus, based mostly on student test scores, comes on top of Saavedra's annual $302,000 salary. Add in other perks, such as his car allowance, and Saavedra's total deal lands in the $450,000 neighborhood.

School board president Harvin Moore said Saavedra, who became chief of the state's largest school district in 2004, deserved the extra money. Saavedra's bonus equals about 25 percent of his base pay.

The average bonus for a teacher this year was about $2,100, based on preliminary numbers. That represents about 4 percent of the average teacher salary.

Ckick here to read more.

Please tell me what you fellow educators out there think about this.

"The salary of the chief executive of a large corporation is not a market award for achievement. It is frequently in the nature of a warm personal gesture by the individual to himself." - John Kenneth Galbraith

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Many non-educators have asked me why I have not pursued my mid-management degree. My reply is always: "I don't think I could endure the physical alterations necessary to do the job: the complete removal of my spine and the enlargement of one of my orifices."

'nuff said?

Law and Order Teacher said...

That's an awful lot of money. I don't necessarily hate that supers make a lot of money, I just wish it was spread more to us. After all, any gains in the classroom come from us, not the super, unless you count their sterling and inspiring leadership. BTW that's about what Reg makes at NEA. He is an incredible inspiration to me.

Texas Truth said...

Law and Order Teacher: I have always said that administrators should be REQUIRED to teach at least one class a day. That way they would remember what it was like to be in the classroom and would be more inclined to give the bonuses to the teachers who actually do the work.

Texas Truth said...

nunoftheabove: I have had my mid management certification since1983. After my year as an intern/substitute administrator, I maked the determination not be be an administrator. TOO MANY HEADACHES AND TOO MUCH POLITICS!!!!!

The Vegas Art Guy said...

Bunch of BS... But that's just me.

At least you'll get a bonus...

Texas Truth said...

The Vegas Art Guy: It is BS. Sorry, but I did not get a bonus. I am not in Houston ISD.