Saturday, April 26, 2008

More on The Avengers

John Steed and Emma Peel were one of the classic fictional male/female crimefighting teams. It was the ease and natural chemistry between the two of them that made the Diana Rigg episodes of "The Avengers" special.

They behaved like good friends who maintained a certain public formality (they never called each other by their first names), but we just KNEW those two were sleeping together.

Well, weren't they? I always liked to think they were. I just loved the banter going back and forth. They do not make shows like this anymore.





Emma Peel: [Emma is admiring an antique bed] I've always rather fancied myself in one of these.
John Steed: So have I... I mean, I have too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

TT-
You are so correct--this show, by far, is the most sexually dynamic show I have ever seen.

Even fully dressed, these two set off more sparks than anything since in television series.

And of course, the Peel Suit was the greatest pun since Shakespeare.

Law and Order Teacher said...

I don't know about the sleeping together part. I always wanted to think she was waiting for the right guy, like I don't know, me. It's one of those illusions of youth I guess. Great show though.

Texas Truth said...

nunoftheabove: FYI: The official name of her suit was an "Emma Peeler." I can still rememberr thinbking about that as a youth

Texas Truth said...

Law and Order Teacher: You may be right, but have you ever seen the episode where she left the series? I will post it is I can find it. It does answer some questions about the posts that have been made here.