Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Clash: Rock The Casbah

I was surfing again and found another video from my younger days (mid to late 20s). I love this video and being that it was filmed around Austin, Texas, that makes it for me.

Look for The Posse (Ice House), Serve Yourself Gas, Burger King, City Coliseum, and Winchell's Donuts. These are all places I frequented (at least once) while I was a student on the 40 Acres.

Check out the video below and sing along if you must.


“Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and cannot remain silent” - Victor Hugo



Below is a discription about the video:

The Clash made low-budget music videos for several of their songs, and the one for "Rock the Casbah" may be their most memorable. Filmed in Austin, Texas, it depicts an Arab, played by Bernie Rhodes, and an Hasidic Jew, played by Mark "Frothler" Helfont, skanking together through the streets, often followed by an armadillo, interspersed with the band performing in front of an oil well. The humorous tone of the video fits the song, although it is easy to read the antics of the Arab and Jew as a desire for better relations between Israelis and Arabs.

The video features their first drummer Terry Chimes, because, at the time of its release, Headon was out of the band due to his growing drug addiction. Headon admitted that seeing the video with "someone else at my place, playing my song" was very painful for him and he spiraled into an even bigger depression and drug taking.


2 comments:

Obob said...

love the Clash. I'm switching computers so I need to download "London Calling" again.
The video had the subtle impact of me wanting to learn more about the relationship of the Arabs and Jews as a youngster.

Texas Truth said...

Obob: Thanks for the post. I do wonder as an educator, how many videos of today inspire youth to learn more about a cause, unless that cause is sex, gangbanging, and drugs?