Saturday, May 10, 2008

The Last Scene with Emma Peel from The Avengers

I have found the last scene from The Avengers with Emma Peel (played by Diana Rigg) leaving with her long-lost and recently found husband.

Notice the way she told Tara King (played by Linda Thorson) the way Steed liked his tea stirred (anti-clockwise).

Also notice the appearance and demeanor of her husband as he is opens the car door for Mrs. Peel. One never sees his face but IMHO he is "exactly" like Steed.

I had forgotten this episode, but it reinforces my view that these two (Peel and Steed) were a couple (in the Biblical sense).


Observe the way Mrs. Peel looks up (while she and her husband are driving away) at the the window where Steed is standing. Her look says it all. I have had only one woman in my life given me that look and both of us knew what it meant.

This is a great clip and linked together the two characters (Mrs. Peel and Tara King) for the enjoyment of the fans. They do not do that in today's television.

Well, sit back and enjoy the clip.

"Now, take me to your leader. Or, lead me to your taker." - Emma Peel


4 comments:

Law and Order Teacher said...

I am still convinced that she was waiting for someone. The look as you pointed out was not at Steed, but at the camera. That was done to keep the viewer interested. It did me. Where is she now?

Texas Truth said...

Law and Order Teacher: Nice point. However, I think the look was at Steed. Her husband at been on an exploring expedition (or some such travel) and was listed as missing and presumed dead. The he miraculously is “found”.” She had a great deal of confusion in her mind, but her loyalty and commitment was to her husband. That reinforced her character as an honorable person.

When she was "assigned" or "hooked up" with Steed, Steed was a replacement for her husband (at least in her mind). Notice how similar Steed and her husband were. Steed even noticed it when as he watched her getting in the car. Notice the expression on his face.

What is interesting is that the two of us view it differently. Actually, it is not that uncommon.

Different people view scenes differently. I think she looked at Steed in the window and then looked (glanced) at her husband. I think she was in love with both of them, although not in the same way.

We could and possibly will, discuss this from time to time.

That is one of the reasons I like this forum (blogs), intelligent people exchanging views and learning from each other.

What a shame more people, including our students and fellow teachers, do not participate in this and other intelligent discussions, in which ee both benefit. Thank you for the intellectual exercise.

Perhaps I should take this comment to a post on the blog and see what others think about it.

On last thing: who were ere you referring to in your comment “Where is she now?” Did you mean Dian Rigg as an actress or Emma Peel as a fictional character?

Law and Order Teacher said...

Diana Rigg. Our school is in the process of getting involved in something called (I think)"Class Time." It is a whole array of internet things including blogging and web sites. They can be applied to school clubs and teams. They are student-generated, with teacher supervision of course. I think it has a lot possibilities and I am on the advisory committee along with several other teachers. I will pass along any information I get. It sounds like a lot of fun.

Texas Truth said...

Law and Order Teacher: 1) Diana Rigg is still around, acting in theater. 2)Let me know how it goes. I might what to get a program like that started in my school.