Friday, May 30, 2008

The Last Few Days of School are CRAZY!!!

I have been doing a great deal of thinking lately. We have one week of school left and more and more things are coming to mind.

I was standing outside my door between classes today (as we are required to do, but few teachers actually do) and I watched the sea of student humanity passing to their next class. Shirt were untucked, ID badges were not being worn, baggy pants were in abundance, and PDA was in full display.

For those of you who do not know what PDA is, I will explain. PDA is an acronym for "public display of affection."

Young men and women (in reality, boy and girls) walking to class hand in hand. I even caught a glimpse of two girls holding hands. My students know not to do that (any PDA) around me, but it has become impossible to stop it all.

Couples; boy-girl, a few girl-girl, and (thank goodness, no boy-boy action) hug and give a kiss to each other before they go into the class. It does not happen around my room. I always hurry them into the class before they have time to "engage."

What concerns me is that I see administrators walking the halls and they see the same "action" that I do. Some walk right by it and others make a "half-assed" attempt to break it up. They will say "You guys stop that" or "Get to class" while walking by the couple. They do not even stop to make sure their command is followed.

No wonder the students do not listen and comply. They know there is too much action going on and the administration/faculty cannot deal with it all.

One of the things I notice is how many good, level-headed girls are hooking up with, what I call, pieces of trash. They are nice, polite girls. These girls hook up with them, hugging and kissing in the hall. After that, you know what happens next.

The number of pregos, as we affectionately call them, in my classes have increased three-fold this year. I have had a total of twelve pregnant girls this year, out of 90 total students.

As soon as they get pregnant, they show up in class, with a note from the school nurse, stating they may have water (drinks) in class, they can leave the class anytime they need to go to the bathroom, and they can be dismissed early from class to give them time to get to the next class. Some of them have due dates 7-8 months away and they still have the note.

To me, the pregos are getting special privileges for getting pregnant. In addition, the couples have also been given special privileges to "engage" each other in the halls, as I surmise few teachers and administrators are willing to be labeled a pervert or accused of rocking the boat for correcting them.

Some administrators have shut down along with certain teachers. It is a shame because I think we should be vigilant until the final second of the last day of school. But I am considered a dinosaur in my building. That is a title I am proud to wear.


I will continue to correct, remind, encourage, and in certain cases, harass students to do what is right until the last second of the last day of school. After all, that is what I am paid to do.

4 comments:

Law and Order Teacher said...

We're definitely two of a kind. The kids know not to PDA in front of me because I call them on it. On the prego front I, too, have noticed an increase. And on the piece of trash front I have noticed these same girls go for the garbage. I think it is a rebellion thing. The more outrageous the better. One more week.

Texas Truth said...

Law and Order Teacher: My school is heavy Hispanic (about 75% and it seems that most of the prego as Hispanic. In fact, I have not seen a Anglo, Black, or Asian girl pregnant this year. Percentages would seem to dictate that some should be pregnant. I my classes, I have six girls (all Hispanic) who have children and two who are attached (living with their baby's daddy). Of the girls that are pregnant, only two are passing. I have to believe that it has to due with the culture. To be fair, I have numerous Hispanic girls that are not pregnant and make great grades. However, they are not from Mexico. The majority of them are from other Central American countries. This may be a study that needs to be done. Perhaps this should be a subject for a few blog posts.

The Vegas Art Guy said...

I made my kids work until the bell rang on Friday afternoon. We'll see how the finals go. The kids also know not to pull that kind of BS with me because I'll say something. Keep up the good work.

Texas Truth said...

The Vegas Art Guy: I also get the standard question, "Can we have a free day?" I respond to that saying "Do you have any "free days" in your job."