Tuesday, June 3, 2008

"Field of Dreams"

If this movie doesn't get you choked up, then you don't have a heart in your chest.

I think people miss it when they say it is a baseball film. I don't think it is. It's a movie about fathers and sons. And if you have ever been one or the other (or both), then Field of Dreams will speak to you.

I lost my father 20 years ago. I was always thankful I told him how much I appreciated how he raised me. He was a drill sergeant in the Army. Growing up, I hated the way he treated and raise me. I thought is was so tough. As I got older, I understand why he did it and thanked him. It was just before he died. My wife, who was the only girl/woman he really took a liking to, tells me all the time I am exactly like my father. I don't see it, but she says it is true. In my mind, I could never be the man my father was.

To this day, every time I see this clip, I think about him and the clip makes me cry. I miss him so much. He is the reason I am the man I am today.

If he is looking down from heaven right now, I want him to know I think about him everyday. I love you Dad. Thanks for making the person I am now.

"Life it hard. If you are not tough, no one will take care of you." - My father.


2 comments:

Law and Order Teacher said...

Love the movie. I am lucky that both my parents are still with me. My dad was the man I hoped to become. He was raised in an orphanage during the Depression after my grandfather, who had been gassed in the First World War couldn't take of his kids anymore. He went on to the Korean War and I fought mine. I did my part because I admired him for doing his and his father for doing his. I thank God for him everyday. It's amazing how much we follow what they did with us when it comes time to raise our kids, isn't it?

Texas Truth said...

Law and Order Teacher: Yours is a great story. I know you gained a great deal from it. Life is how we react and how we make the best of the past. Thanks for sharing.