Thursday, February 21, 2008

Gene Hackman: "Crimson Tide"

I have insomnia again. I guess it is getting over the flu and my sleep habits.

Anyway, I am up watching television. On TBS, the movie "Crimson Tide" is on. One of the best speeches in a movie in shown below. It is known as the "Crimson Tide Speech." I realize that this is only a movie and Gene Hackman is only an acotr, but everytime I see and hear it, chills go down my spine and I feel proud. It is a shame we don't have more speeches in real life like this.

I have posted it below. Watch and listen. I think it is amazing. When the yell "Go Bama..Roll Tide'" one just feels inspired.

8 comments:

Law and Order Teacher said...

I loved it! I wasn't too in love with the crack on the Air Force (USAF Veteran)lol, however it was cool speech. Here's one I like from the movie Gods and Generals. Jeff Daniels is great as Joshua Chamberlain. Talk about the hair standing up on your neck!
LINK:
www.AmericanRhetoric.com/Moviespeeches/moviespeechgods&generalschamberlainsrome.html

Long but worth it.

Texas Truth said...

Law and Order Teacher: That was great. I would love to show these to my classes, but my school blocks YouTube. If I could only find a way to copy them.

Ol' BC said...

Makes one want to scream "War Eagle" doesn't it?

Texas Truth said...

Ol' BC: Or the Aggie War Hymm or Texas Fight or Boomer Sooner or Notre Dame Victory March. They are all great "motivation" songs."

Law and Order Teacher said...

Let me nominate "Across the Field" or "Buckeye Battle Cry." Sorry, I voted for the hometown boys.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe your school blocks American Rhetoric. It is one of the best teaching resources for high school curriculum.

I would voice some protest..YouTube I can understand but a site devoted exclusively to speech and language usually in a historical context.

Texas Truth said...

Law and Order Teacher: No problem. We all have our favorites.

Texas Truth said...

nunoftheabove: They say it has to do with bandwidth and overloading the district server. I have my on opinion on the matter, but will not go into it here.