Saturday, February 16, 2008

The Shootist

I am sitting up watching "The Shootist." It was John Wayne's last movie. No actor can compare to The Duke. I grew up watching his movies and at the age of 54, I am still a big fan.

He was a man's man. Every kid I knew growing up looked up to him. I wanted to be just like him. He was honest, upstanding, and a fine role model for America's youth.

In the movie, they state that John Bernard Books (Wayne's character) lived by a creed. It went like this:

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

I have always tried to live by those words. I even have them posted behind the desk in my classroom along with a few other quote from Wayne's movies and a few photos of him.

We sure could use a man like John Wayne around now-a-days. He was a comfort to watch in a movie and make one proud to be an American.

If you get a chance to watch the movie, please do. It is one of Wayne's best.

4 comments:

Law and Order Teacher said...

I,too, love John Wayne. He epitomized everything that was "American." Besides his movies were entertaining as hell. I love The Quiet Man. I watch it constantly, much to my wife's chagrin. It certainly represents a better, more innocent time. Wouldn't it be nice if America was that way again?

Texas Truth said...

Yes, it would be a nice and gentler United States. It would also be a toughter United States and a BETTER United States.

Anonymous said...

Great movie, one of the classics !! I think every town could do with a John Bernard Brooks.

Texas Truth said...

Anonymous: We also need to have John Bernard Books running the country.