Saturday, February 23, 2008

State of the Black Union 2008

I posted a piece on September 20, 2007 about the Black National Anthem. I raised the question of why blacks, or anyone for that matter, need a separate national anthem for their race. Again I find something that raises a similar question.

"Why does a race need a State of the Union meeting?"

This forum is being held in New Orleans at the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center
Conference Auditorium. Click
here to view information on the forum. It was stated in the mask head of the site that the purpose of the meeting is to "Reclaiming Our Democracy, Deciding Our Future."

I do not understand why a race needs such a meeting, but if whites held the same type of meeting (for example; State of the White Union), people would be up in arms that it was racist.

The meeting was hosted by Tavis Smiley and Tom Joyner and includes New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Donna Brazile, and Sheila Jackson Lee.

It has been reported that Barack Obama was invited to attend but declined to attend, causing some stir in the African-American community. In a letter sent to Smiley, Obama offered to send his wife Michelle, but Smiley declined to have her participate.

This could possibly push some black voters to back Clinton if they see Obama's absence as a slight.

In any case, I still do not understand why it is acceptable for Blacks to host such a forum, but Whites would be chastised if they did the same.

I can understand a group whating to meet and address issues that ate important to them, but what goes for one should go for all. I have felt this way about Black Miss America, Hispanic Miss American, Black All American football teams and anything that seperates the races.

Everyone should get on the same page and go forward. RACE DOES NOT MATTER!!! WE ARE ALL AMERICANS!!!

4 comments:

Law and Order Teacher said...

I wish we were all Americans. It doesn't seem so. I watched the State of the Black Union and I was impressed by some of what was said. I was very impressed by Michael Steele. He had the balls to appear as a black Republican. He was superb and I think he would be a great running mate for McCain. I spent the day making phone calls for McCain. I heard from many that he still had to make his conservative bones. I agree, but he is the antidote to Obama and his wide-eyed legions. I am going to post on this today.

Texas Truth said...

Law and Order Teacher: We should all be Americans first and everything else second.

Law and Order Teacher said...

I agree and I wish it was that way. We need to show by example that Republicans as advocates of self-help, are the party of progress. People like Michael Steele are ones who can carry that message to a wide range of people. Just a thought.

Texas Truth said...

Law and Order Teacher: Michael Steele CAN carry our message to many people. Thanks for the post.