Monday, February 25, 2008

Roger Clemens to be Investigated for Perjury

A Congressional committee has taken the first steps toward asking the Department of Justice to launch a criminal investigation into whether Roger Clemens committed perjury during testimony about his use of performance-enhancing drugs, according to three lawyers familiar with the matter.

It has been reported in various media sources.

The New York Times

ESPN

New York Post

ABC 13-Houston

The plot thickens. Stay tuned for further developments.

“The greatest crimes do not arise from a want of feeling for others but from an over-sensibility for ourselves and an over-indulgence to our own desires” Edmund Burke (British Statesman and Philosopher, 1729-1797)

6 comments:

Law and Order Teacher said...

I enjoy the quotes you are putting in your posts. Anytime you quote Burke you are treading on sacred ground. Ah, Burke, the Father of Modern Conservatism. His speech to The Electors of Bristol is really good stuff. You can find it and a lot of other great documents on a site called Founders Constitution.

Texas Truth said...

Law and Order Teacher: Thanks for the kudos. I found some of his quotes and liked them. I will try to use Burke when I can.

W.R. Chandler said...

Why Congress is investigating steroids in sports, I have no idea.

I'm checking Article I Section 8 to find where they have oversight on a matter like this, and I am coming up blank.

The Vegas Art Guy said...

I think it has to do with their anit-trust exemption, which congress is in charge of. It can be revoked with cause and I'd say their piss poor handling of the steroid/HGH scandal may qualify. I hope both Clemens and Bonds go to prison. Last I checked doing steroids without proper permission is a felony and federal law last I checked the constitution is still supreme no matter what the union thinks...

Texas Truth said...

Chanman: I am not sure of their "complete" interest, but it may have to do about illegal drug and their distribution, MLB's failure to do anything about it, and possibly MLB's anti-trust exemption.

Texas Truth said...

The Vegas Art Guy: I didn't your comment about the anti-trust exemption before answering Chanman. I bet that IS the reason (at least one of them) that they are looking into Clemens.